Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pasta Primavera

Alfredo Sauce:
7 Tbs. butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups heavy cream (I occasionally use evaporated milk and that works too)
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
3/4 cups mozarella cheese
Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic, cream and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir often. Add parmesan cheese and cook 8-10 minutes. When it thickens add in mozarella cheese and stir often.

Steam:
4 carrots, sliced thinly
2 cups cauliflower
Steam carrots & cauliflower 6 minutes then add in
2 cups broccoli and steam 4 more minutes.

Boil:
Package of fettucine noodles or angel hair pasta.

Grill or Broil:
2-3 chicken breasts (6 min. one side them flip & 6 min. other)
I brine my chicken first (let soak in a water, salt, sugar mixture) then put a little olive oil on them and sprinkle with Johnny's Seasoning Salt.

I place my chicken in a brine maybe an hour before I am going to begin cooking (if you don't it's not the end of the world). I start by putting a pot of water on to boil for my noodles and turning on my oven or barbeque. While waiting for this to boil I chop up my vegetables. By the time I am done chopping up vegetables, the water is boiling and I put my noodles in and begin cooking my vegetables. I then start my alfredo sauce and put my chicken in the oven & set timer for 6 min. After I have added all to the sauce except for the mozarella, the timer should go off at which time I flip the chicken, putting olive oil and seasoning on the up side, and reset the timer for 6 minutes. I add the broccoli to the steaming carrots & cauliflower. I continue with the sauce and add the mozarella before the chicken comes out of the oven. When the timer goes off everything should be done. I pull the chicken out and let it cool slightly while I drain the noodles, pour the sauce over and add the vegetables. I slice the chicken and toss that in.


I know this sounds overwhelming but I can make this healthy delicious meal in 20 minutes. I have just found with this order and timing it all works real smooth. My whole family loves this meal and it is what my daughter requests for her birthday. You can vary the meat and vegetable amounts. Sometimes I just put a lot of vegetables and leave out the meat.

No comments: